Sunday, September 5, 2010

Holding the Man By Timothy Conigrave


Holding the Man is the best-selling memoir by the Australian writer, actor, and activist Timothy Conigrave. Holding the Man was published in February 1995 by Penguin Books in Australia just a few months after Conigrave's death, and has since been published in Spain and North America. Holding the Man won the United Nations Human Rights Award for Non-Fiction in 1995 and was listed as one of the "100 Favourite Australian Books" by the Australian Society of Authors for its 40th anniversary in 2003.
Holding the Man tells the story of Tim's life, and centrally of his relationship with his lover of fifteen years, John Caleo. They met in the mid-1970s at Xavier College, a prestigious all-boys Jesuit Catholic school in Melbourne. In 1976, Timothy Conigrave fell in love with the captain of the football team, John Caleo, a relationship lasting 15 years.
Their love affair that weathered disapproval, separation and, ultimately death. With honesty and insight, 'Holding the Man' explores the highs and lows of their life partnership: the intimacy, constraints, temptations, and the strength of heart both men had to find when they tested positive to HIV.
Here is a little taste of the book “Holding The Man by Timothy Conigrave”
Juliet kissed Pepe. Their kiss lingered. Pepe came up for air. 'Tim'. As I kissed her she opened her mouth. Her tongue was exploring mine. I felt trapped. I was afraid to stop kissing her because I knew what was coming. I don't want John to think I'm enjoying this. Before I knew it my hand was on his knee, as if to let him know it was him I wanted. His hand settled on mine as Pepe continued kissing me. I couldn't shake the feeling that I was a virgin being led to the volcano to be sacrificed. I turned to face him. He shut his eyes and pursed his lips. Everything went slow motion as I pressed my mouth against his. His gentle warm lips filled my head. My body dissolved and I was only lips pressed against the flesh of his. I would have stayed there for the rest of my life, but I was suddenly worried about freaking him out and I pulled away. I caught sight of his face - fresh, with chocolate-brown eyes, and a small, almost undetectable smile.
Three years after writing the book “Holding The Man” Timothy died.
In 2006, it was adapted for the stage by Tommy Murphy , and has become one of the most successful Australian stage productions in recent years.
I would recommend the book “Holding On To The Man” to anyone, it was not just the fact that it was a heart warming, heart crushing story but also for the fact that the words on the page just washed over you, his writing is impeccably absolutely amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment